For Grins

For Grins

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Late summer last year I decided I wanted to produce beautiful works of art via painting with watercolors.  The only knowledge I had of watercolors was that of a 5 year old.  At that time the requirements were the little set of colors that was on every kindergartner's school supply list and some kind of paper.  It was always a thrill to make that first purple watery stroke of the flower garden I would create.
 
I figured there must be watercolor supplies for adults so I began to look online. Oh my goodness!!
I found there to be tubes, pans, liquid, pencils and powder paints.  Next the paper.   Hot press, cold press, and I found out there are different weights of paper.  Paper weighted??  I saved the brushes for last. I figured it wouldn't be that difficult to pick a brush, after all I did all kinds of magic with the brush from my kindergarten set.  Well.... I found out brushes have bellies and ferrules.  There are liners, rounds, flats, riggers..... They can be made from the hair of squirrel, ox, goat, sable, camel and of course synthetic fiber.  There are also many sizes to chose from.  I even found out there are student and professional grades of paint and brushes.

I joined a few Facebook pages for watercolor artist.  I asked what would be good a good set of paints, brushes and the paper.  I have found that people in art groups are so kind, supportive and have many recommendations.  Some prefer certain brands of paints over others.  Same with brushes and paper.  Some state you don't need to buy "sets".  They say to buy the primary colors and blend your own colors.  What!?!?   The kindergarten set was starting to look good again.

Right or wrong I made my selections and began.  That story is for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  November 19, 2021 Steampunk Challenge This creation was made for the Steampunk challenge from The Fripperies and Butterflies Blog . The su...