For Grins

For Grins

Saturday, January 26, 2019

 I do have to confess before I did my research I did purchase a set of pan watercolors at Hobby Lobby along with an inexpensive set of brushes.  I also picked up a pad of paper that felt like it weighed enough. (Remember the paper weighs!)  Each item said they were all good for watercolor art.  I felt pretty good because that is what I was going to be, a watercolor artist!!

Just as I did when I was a kid, I drew my wet brush over the purple and made watery strokes on the paper.  As I did, a nice relaxing sigh came from deep within. I found a new therapy.  I have always found watercolor art relaxing to look at.  My eyes follow the colors as they flow from one into the other.  Blending together so well you don't know from where one ends and the other starts.

What do I paint?  I'm not one to just start painting, other than the flower garden from my childhood memory.  I need to see a picture of something then I will make an attempt.  Thank goodness these days for Pinterest!  I browsed and browsed and came up with an adult style flower to paint.  First came the purple clematis.  Then the marigolds.  Then the rooster.  (We now know the chicken didn't come first, I know I painted a rooster but I couldn't not make that comment!)  It wasn't the loose watercolor I had the desire to first paint but I was happy.

Around the time the painting desire hit me I sent a text to a friend I hadn't seen in years.  I asked Helene if she should like to meet for lunch and catch up.  We had a wonderful visit. I'm happy to add that we have continued to meet for lengthy lunches or coffee conversations ever since.  She shared with me how she had tapped into her artist talents.  She creates beautiful digital scrapbook pages and wonder journal pages.  Around September she emailed me about a juried art show that was in a neighboring county. To enter the juried show you could email up to 3 subjects and send a fee for subject.  It was a fund raiser they were having for The Greenville Art Guild.

I tossed the idea around of entering my purple flower for about 2 weeks.  No, it isn't that good.  Other artists, that are good, will enter masterpieces.  I don't have a chance.  All kinds of negativity.  Then I would look at my purple petals again and think, maybe.  Why not do it?   Its a fundraiser for the arts.  I'm sure they will appreciate the money. I got big time brave. Why not really help them and enter all 3?!

They were to email the entrants on a certain day if their art was chosen.  I checked that morning. No email.  I waited until after lunch.  No email.  Then after dinner.  No email.  Well I supported the fundraiser.  I did a normal late night email check and there was an email from The Greenville Art Guild!!  They were glad to notify me that they accepted all 3, yes all 3, of my paintings!  If I could have danced a jig I would have. (I need to enter here that I'm in a wheelchair so that would have been ugly if I had tried).  Helene also had and entry accepted into the exhibit.  We were displayed together on the gallery wall.  I didn't place but I did win.  I won a feather.  I'm still tickled that they picked my paintings!

If you haven't figure I out already, my famous to me 3, are my blog banner

No comments:

Post a Comment

  November 19, 2021 Steampunk Challenge This creation was made for the Steampunk challenge from The Fripperies and Butterflies Blog . The su...